Thursday, April 28, 2011

MEET REBECCA ROGERS


Rebecca Rogers, legal secretary by day, reader and writer by night, shares the story behind her debut novel, Silver Moon, the first in a trilogy. It is available from Amazon.


"Some might ask when I began writing, or what actually sparked my desire to write a novel. The truth is: I can’t give a defining moment. I’ve been writing for as long as I could form sentences. Growing up, I was influenced by several different authors/books: Little House on the Prairie, Goosebumps, anything by Lois Duncan or Annette Curtis Klause, and, of course, Harry Potter.

My first book, Silver Moon is about werewolves. How did Little House on the Prairie evolve into werewolves? As I’ve grown as a reader and writer, my tastes varied from one genre to the next. By diving into different worlds, I’ve been able to broaden my imagination. I’ve learned all writing styles are different, and that no matter how much they resemble each other, they’ll never be exactly the same. Each has its own personal fingerprint.

This left me with a canvas as white and blank as any fresh beginning. I realized the worlds I see could only exist if I created them. At the time I didn’t know this new power would lead to joy, distress, rejection and the conviction that the only person stopping me from achieving my dreams was me. I couldn’t let that happen.

I still feel like I have a long way to go and much more to learn, but I’m getting there. I think writing is like any other craft—you have to practice, practice, practice before you truly see results. It takes a good amount of time and hard work, but it’s definitely worth the payoff when someone else can escape to the world you've created."

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me guest blog, Marilee!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and you've made some excellent points, Rebecca, that have hit me: "each has its own personal fingerprint" especially. I'm scared my new novel will be too similar to my other one. But it MUST be different! And I love the high of escaping into the world I create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A venue for new books. Wow, I can't go wrong :)
    I downloaded the Kindle version of Silver Moon and Rabbit Chasing Beth Rider.
    *must leave now to check them out*
    Thanks for the cool look into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for Becca's book! Lovely little post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im glad to found a new author to stalk :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining us, Blackroze. Appreciate the comments and follow. I'll be giving out some prizes soon, so be sure to tell your friends!

    ReplyDelete